Re: triple stop warnings

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: triple stop warnings
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:08:45 +0100

Am Samstag, 12. Dezember 2009 08:35:24 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Jay Anderson <address@hidden> writes:
> > Also for the other responses, sorry if I didn't explain it very well.
> > This is the only way I've seen triple (and quadruple) stops notated so
> > I thought it would be self-explanatory.
>
> Again: could you explain why you want to write 2. as a duration and then
> remove the dot manually?
>
> This does not really make sense at all.

He does not want to write 2. as a duration. He wants to write the whole thing
as one chord (It IS displayed and played as one chord), where one note has a 4
duration, and the others have a 2. duration. However, chords in lilypond can
only be entered with one duration for all notes. That's due to lilypond's
syntax and its parser.
So, his question is if it is possible to assign a different duration to one
note of a chord. Or rather, (since we all know that you can do everything with
lilypond) what is the easiest way to achive this.

> > Thanks for the other examples.  I hadn't seen it notated like that
> > before (I'm not a string player).  I've attached a picture of the
> > particular chord I was working on (for viola, alto clef, in 3/4). In
> > this case I want to keep it explicitly notated and all in the same
> > voice.
>
> There are dots on the half notes.

Exactly. The half notes should be dotted, but the quarter note should also be
part of the chord but not be dotted.... The latter is what this thread is all
about.

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886