Re: No Work!

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: No Work!
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 17:19:35 +0000

James Bailey wrote:
I'm really sorry you couldn't get it to work. After months of the GUI not working at all on 10.5/10.6, there appeared to be a fix which has worked for every other user. So, unless you can give anyone on the list some more details about what you did, which version you were using, and what problems you encountered, thre are no problems that anyone else can reproduce in order to fix them.

James,

Robert did give information which he didn't reply all to the list, but which I did reply all to try to get it in the thread.

I'll re-paste it here:

Please can you confirm a few things because it really is not clear.

SORRY!

1. Can you save the example file to the desktop with a file name?
   Yes. I can save it as .ly file type, no problem. I can copy the text of the
window that DOES appear when LilyPond opens to the text editor and save that as a
.ly file. I can then open that .ly file. But when I hit 'compile>typeset file'
nothing happens. No pdf viewer, no twirling cursor, nothing.

2. If you can save the file and you choose the 'compile > typeset' option, the
log window should pop up...does this happen or not?
See above. NO log window at all. Don't see any other way to find the log window
--not a menu item--but see (3) below

3. if the log window does pop up then can you cut and paste from this window?

Does not show up. After selecting 'update syntax' it shows and then, yes, I can
cut and paste from the log window or from the first screen window that pops up
when the program opens.

4. If you cannot do step 1, can you open a new text file, make it plain text
and then type { a b c d e f } save it as a test.ly (not test.ly.txt) and then
compile the file? Does this work?

I created a file in text edit with the following entry:  { a b c d e }
I saved it to the desktop, where LilyPond is, as an .ly file type [NO .txt file
ending at all]
I opened this document in LilyPond using the Open command.
I hit 'compile->text file' and got nothing.
I then hit 'compile->update syntax' and received the following message
convert-ly (GNU LilyPond) 2.13.9
Processing `/Users/robertley/Desktop/ABC.ly'...
convert-ly: error: cannot determine version for
`/Users/robertley/Desktop/ABC.ly'.  Skipping

So I added the version number
\version "2.13.9"  % necessary for upgrading to future LilyPond version     by
copy/paste from the first screen document that LilyPond opens. I put it outside the curly
bracket as it is on that first page.

Then I get the following message:
convert-ly (GNU LilyPond) 2.13.9
Processing `/Users/robertley/Desktop/ABC.ly'...
Applying conversion:

And NOTHING happens. All I can do is Quit but no compiling, no pdf viewer,
nothing.
Thanks
NO, Thank You! for your assistance. I'm happy to try whatever you'd like so you
can figure the bug out. I'm also going to try the program using System 10.4.11
and see if it works there. I have that on a separate hard drive.

Nothing immediately springs to mind but I haven't had a chance to analyse this further as I have not had a chance to poke a bit about on my own machine I use, so I didn't want to comment.

Unless anyone else has any ideas, I'll do my best to see what else we can do to troubleshoot and update Robert with anything I find here on this thread.

As I have said, I have had no problems with compiling on Max OS X and I use the latest 10.5.x version (can't remember aht that is now), I have not used it on Snow Leopard (which is 10.6).

James