Re: No Work!

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: No Work!
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 15:12:42 +0100

Le mercredi 16 décembre 2009 à 18:56 -0600, Tim McNamara a écrit :
> I don't buy the generalized Unix notion that "doing things the hard
> way is a virtue."

Where do you get this notion from?  Note that the most popular operating
systems except Microsoft ones are Unix-based.  It's not doing things the
hardway, it's doing things to make it easy to reply to the sender only,
taking into account uncommon situations as well, like users who need to
indicate a reply-to address different from the expedition address.
Well, I don't know why I repeat an argument exposed in the document I
previously linked.

>   Literally every other mailing list in which I
> participate sets the Reply-To header to the list.  It works better.
> This one is the anomaly and routinely results in e-mails being sent
> to individuals, not to the list, resulting in "please send all e-
> mails to the list" posts, etc.

Sorry, but you haven't exhibited so far a concrete ground in favor of
setting the Reply-To.  A sophism ad populum like this will not convince
me, and it might not convince the administrator of this list either.

Best,
John