RE: simple editor for windows

From: Ed Ardzinski
Subject: RE: simple editor for windows
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 00:12:57 +0000

All interesting comments - way back when I first encountered Lilypond (3 years ago or so?) I just decided to write my own editor and stuff it full of commands to enter code fragments I find useful (and some other things - open Acrobat Reader, call LP on a file, a few other things).  Every few months I dust off my MFC skills and make some improvements. As satisfying as this route makes me feel, I would NEVER ever suggest this for anyone else, or even suggest that anyone else use my editor! ;-)

As for a more general topic of using a text editor for any purpose, this Windows programmer type likes basic notepad the best.  I've use many others that have had thier benefits and drawbacks, but notepad was just a chore to use for LP.  Context was mentioned and I think I recall hearing about the LP plug-in for code highlighting - I might have to give tha a try.  I would say using Wordpad would have it's benefits with drag and drop (which was essentially my starting point for a DIY editor for Lilypond), so I don't think there is really a "right answer" as much as there is a text editor that you will fell comfortable with.  Saving as plain text with an .ly extension is (should be) a pretty easy thing to do in any text editor. :-)