Re: GUI

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: GUI
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:04:05 +0100

Quoting Graham Percival <address@hidden>:

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 01:00:57AM -0800, -Eluze wrote:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/web/development#Development
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/web/development#Development

on this page clicking *Manuals* in the top note leads to the 2.12.2 manuals,
whereas clicking *download* goes to the 2.13.9 downloads.

Thanks, I missed that!  I'll add this to my TODO.

I hope you also know that you end up at the 2.13 manual if you click on the quick link to the "Manuals 2.12.2" on the main page.

A couple of comments on the text at http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/web/text-input#Text-input:

You never mention that you need a text editor. The link name "Alternate input" indicates that it's an alternative to something, but it's not 100% clear to what. Actually, some of the alternatives on the "Alternate input" page are primarily just examples of text editors, even though they have some LilyPond related features.

First sentence: Is it really accurate to say "containing the notes"? How about "describing the music" or "containing the music"?

In the Orchestral parts example: Is it obvious what is meant by "multi-rest"? Would it take too much space to write out something like "rest spanning several measures"?

In the text above the same example: "To share the notes" makes me think about "sharing music to others". Also, "variable" doesn't mean anything relevant if you don't have a programming background. Why not write "To be able to include the same music both in the score and the individual parts, the music is assigned to a so-called variable".

Under "Beginner documentation", why not write out "beginning with the Learning manual"?

The right-hand column of http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/web/unix#Unix seems like a maintenance nightmare to me. Who tracks all these distributions and makes sure that the information is updated when these packages are updated?

Finally, when seeing the title "Community" at the top of the pages, I cannot help thinking about 1968 and flower power. Do I really dare push a button that says "community" without risking to get involved in some weird sect? ;-)

  /Mats

Cheers,
- Graham