Re: GUI

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: GUI
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:27:23 +0000

Hi Graham,

On 18/12/09 09:38, Graham Percival wrote:
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 09:32:50PM -0800, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
  If you can suggest an improvement, especially in the
  Introduction pages, please do.

LilyPondTool, Frescobaldi, Emacs and Vim are listed under
"Alternate Input."  Since this link is to the right of "Text
Input," the implication is that they are alternatives to text
input, which of course is false: All the information under the
"Text input" link applies to these programs.

Hmm.  I'm trying to tie these two together: text input and
alternate input are both the same color, and end in "input".

Maybe change "Alternate Input" to "Input software," or "Input
programs," or "Progams, At least One of Which You Will Use to
Enter Your Scores if You At All Value Your Time and Sanity."

I'm willing to change the name, but I'm not convinced that any of
thsoe are more attractive than "alternate input".  More to the
point, the bottom of "text input" tries to direct people there,
with the "easier editing environments" stuff.

Hmm, on second thought, what about calling it "Easier editing"?
That alliterates, so it gets a 20% bonus to its attractiveness. :)

The current /Alternative Input/ section really lists language-sensitive text editors which have capabilities for handling Lilypond source. They're sort of "Text Editors with Attitude" (hey, that alliterates too :-} ) and the ones that allow compilation and preview of pdf output, like Jedit/LilypondTool and Frescobaldi are well on the way to providing an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for Lilypond. I can't think of anything really short and snappy so how about:
/Text Editors with Lilypond Language Support/ or
/Editors with Lilypond Language Integration/ or
/Easier Lilypond Editing/.

Cheers,
Ian