Re: GUI

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: GUI
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 09:56:21 -0600

On Dec 19, 2009, at 2:49 AM, David Kastrup wrote:

Robert Ley <address@hidden> writes:

Also, please remember that some of us, me included, have little experience writing command lines, so when you put, as part of the first information on
command line use:

     Create a directory to store these scripts,

        mkdir -p ~/bin
        cd ~/bin

    Create a file called lilypond which contains

      exec DIR/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond "$@"

    Note: DIR will generally be /Applications/

Create similar files lilypond-book, convert-ly, and any other scripts you wish to use, by replacing the bin/lilypond with bin/convert-ly (or other
    program name).
    Make the file executable,

    chmod u+x lilypond

I have not a clue what you're talking about. Remember I'm on a Mac, so
'create a directory' doesn't mean anything to me. Nor does 'create a
file'. I have to create a file within an application, and since
LilyPond didn't work in the GUI for me, I had no way to do that.

To answer the last question of yours, no, the information wasn't hard
to find.  You've done a great job of making it easier to find. You
just said you wanted your mother to be able to find and use it, or at
least be able to decide that she did or didn't want to use it.

Looks like the proper starting point would be an instructional video
then.

Maybe a reasonable option would be to consider whether those ~/bin files could be included in the OS X version of the installer. The OS X way of managing these things- having them inside the .app file- doesn't seem fully compatible with how LilyPond works. Most OS X users have no idea that directories like /bin exist because they are not visible in the Finder. OS X is technically POSIX compliant but it looks like no other *nix in terms of native user interface access to the file system.