NoteColumn shift in one voice affects dot position in another voice

From: Nick Payne
Subject: NoteColumn shift in one voice affects dot position in another voice
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:54:17 +1100

See below. When I shift the first note in voiceTwo to avoid a collision with the note in voiceFour, the dot on the rest that begins voiceOne gets separated from the rest and pretty much disappears under the following accidental. It looks to me as though Lilypond is trying to keep the dots for the rest in voiceOne and the A in voiceFour vertically aligned, regardless of whether the rest and the A are vertically aligned. You can see this quite clearly by setting the hshift value to something larger such as #2.

\version "2.13.9"

\relative c'' {
    \time 3/4
    \new Staff
<<
    \new Voice { \voiceOne r8. <fis d>16 e2 }
\new Voice { \voiceTwo \once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #-0.8 e,4 cis'8 e, <a cis> e }
    \new Voice { \voiceFour a,2. }

}

Nick