Special symbols for half-open hi-hats?

From: Carsten Steger
Subject: Special symbols for half-open hi-hats?
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 07:17:42 +0100

Hello,

in most of the books and literature about drumming I have, the
half-open hi-hat is typeset as in the first attached PNG file with an
articulation that looks somewhat like the empty set in the Symbol font
or the character Ø.  Therefore, I have come up with the following
kludge to typeset the half-open hi-hat (under Windows):

\version "2.12.2"

\drums {
 \time 4/4
 \override TextScript #'padding = #2.25
 hh4^\markup{\override #'(font-name . "Symbol") \fontsize #-5
             { \char ##x2205 } }
 hh4^\markup{\override #'(font-name . "Arial") \fontsize #-5 \bold
             { \char ##x00d8 } }
 \revert TextScript #'padding
 hho4
 hhc4
}

I have a few questions in this respect:
- Is there a way to insert this kind of definition into the
DrumStaff.drumStyleTable?  If so, how?
- What are the semantics of the third entry in the
DrumStaff.drumStyleTable?  Based on a few experiments, I would suspect
that this can either be #f or a string to index the list in
script.scm.  Is this correct?
- If the above definitions cannot be inserted into
DrumStaff.drumStyleTable, is there an elegant way to define a single
macro (I'm using macro as a generic term for variables or functions)
that allows me to typeset half-open hi-hats of varying duration in the
above style?

While I could live with the above kludge, it isn't really satisfying
since the style of the characters used doesn't match the appearance of
the script glyphs in the Feta font well (see the second attached PNG
file).  (I'm aware that I could try different fonts; I think, however,
that it is unlikely that I will get a perfect match to the style of
the Feta font.)  Furthermore, the articulation used in my drumming
literature has a much longer slash through the circle than the empty
set symbol or the character Ø.  Is there a way to extend LilyPond to
support a new script character like in the first attached PNG file?

Best regards, Carsten Steger