Re: Note collision without stems

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: Note collision without stems
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:25:00 +0100

On 29.12.2009, at 20:14, Alberto Simões wrote:

Hey

On 29/12/2009 19:11, James Bailey wrote:
I assume you *want* the two heads merged into one. since as it is, there
is no collision. The easy way is to force them together.

In fact, accordingly with lilypond documentation, the two heads are
drawn apart because there is a collision :)

Actually, they're drawn apart because they're in two separate voices, that's what <<{}\\{}>> does. If you wanted to see what the collision would look like (with the appropriate warning in the log, try:
\version "2.12.2"

\new Staff {<<{c'1( d'4)}{c'1(b4)}>> }

That's what
\mergeDifferentlyHeadedOn and \mergeDifferentlyDottedOn do.

Was expecting a similar command to solve this issue, but any hack to
solve the issue is good. Thanks :)

Alberto

I always look in the learning manual for this solution, because I can
never remember how to move noteheads, since I do it so rarely. It's in
4.5.3 Real music example. It's a godsend, as far as I'm concerned.
\version "2.12.2"

%%No collision
<<\clef bass {c1( d4)}\\{c1(b,4)}>>

%%With collision
<<\clef bass {c1( d4)}\\{\once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift =
#-.5 c1(b,4)}>>
<<{c'1( d'4)}\\{\once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #-0.5
c'1(b4)}>>