Re: LilyPond on Linux

From: David Stocker
Subject: Re: LilyPond on Linux
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 09:29:25 -0500

Hi Keith,

You might consider setting up a dual-boot environment. There are lots of resources on the web detailing how to do this, but I've found the best and most comprehensive to be the Illustrated Dual Boot Site: http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/index.html

I too was a "Windows only" user until about 2 years ago when I started experimenting with GNU/Linux.

BTW, I'm an Ubuntu user and I've never had problems getting LilyPond installed and working in either Windows or Ubuntu.

Happy New Year!

David

keith Luke wrote:
My PC experience is with Windows, but I would like to use the Frescobaldi GUI. A friend suggested that I install Linux on a virtual machine then install KDE and Frescobaldi on the system. I told him I was not Linux-literate and he said you don't have to be. All you need is to be able to install it and install the apps and you're good to go. I've seen some of the posts in this forum where some users have problems when installing LilyPond on Linux systems, especially Ubuntu. We just hired at new employee at my shop and he is a Unix/Linux expert. When I was introduced to him, I mentioned my plans to install LilyPond and Frescobaldi on a Linux virtual machine. He recommended downloading and installing Kubuntu as it is Linux packaged with KDE which should meet Frescobaldi requirements. I'm just ordered a new hard drive for my laptop so I can do a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, then install Virtual PC for Windows 7 to run Kubuntu to run LilyPond and Frescobaldi. Don't know when I'll have time to do this as I just got a bar gig filling in for my friend's band playing keyboards for the next three months. I have not gigged in over 15 years other than sitting in with friends about once a month playing only a tune or two. I'm spending my time re-learning how to sight read and listening to lots of mp3s to learn all of the songs which is taking quite a bit of time. It's a lot of work, but provides a nice contrast to my real day job. I'll report back after I get my new hard drive and start installing. Mele Kalikimaka e ka Hauoli Makahiki Hou - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Hawaiian. Alooooooooooooha!!!