Re: LilyPond on Linux

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: LilyPond on Linux
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 11:33:09 -0700

keith Luke wrote:
My PC experience is with Windows, but I would like to use the Frescobaldi GUI. A friend suggested that I install Linux on a virtual machine then install KDE and Frescobaldi on the system. I told him I was not Linux-literate and he said you don't have to be. All you need is to be able to install it and install the apps and you're good to go. I've seen some of the posts in this forum where some users have problems when installing LilyPond on Linux systems, especially Ubuntu.

Others have suggested a dual-boot option, to which I would add that Frescobaldi is in the Ubuntu repositories, although IIRC it's a version behind (0.7 where current is 1.0 ). In Ubuntu, the Ubuntustudio package pulls in a shed-load of goodies, tailored to your choice of audio or video processing.

Staying in Windows, you can run a Windows install of Lilypond, and add to it jEdit with the LilypondTool plugin. The advantages are a single computing environment, and jEdit+Lilytool gives the same functionality as Frescobaldi, including the link from .PDF to input. You don't get the Rumour midi app, and the single computing environment is Windows, but should you migrate to Linux, jEdit is there waiting for you.

Mele Kalikimaka e ka Hauoli Makahiki Hou - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Hawaiian. Alooooooooooooha!!!

Blwyddyn newydd dda! (in Welsh)

Colin
--
When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
 - Scott Adams, "Dilbert" Sept 22,'09