Re: hymns: chords vs. voices

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: hymns: chords vs. voices
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 17:09:55 +0100

On 02.01.2010, at 16:20, Xavier Scheuer wrote:
If such a technique is required for all exceptions to the chord
structure, it seems as if the "chord method" could become patchwork
if many exceptions are needed in a piece. Ten exceptions might be
common on a one-page hymn, requiring the creation of as many new
voices.

You can use \context Voice = "splitapart" for the second "exception"
voice (instead of \new ...).  So you have only 2 voices created.  ;-)

If you do this, you have to have a \context splitapart {s1*1000} or whatever number you need for the length of your score, otherwise the context will die, and create a new context each time, then you'll have problems if you need to align texts to these split parts. See the thread here.

I am a fan of explicitly creating every part in a vocal piece, on the off-chance that I may need to have split lyrics, or something unique to one voice, for any amount of time. If you decide to use chord notation < >, I would reccommend manually aligning the text to the music (see manual syllable durations in the notation reference). If you decide to use separate voices for each part, then you shouldn't really have any problems, and you can still manually align the text to the music, if one part has a dotted figure, while another has a even one.

Hope this helps