Re: Editing notes in a separate file

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Editing notes in a separate file
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 11:28:40 -0500

Hi Michael,

> Thanks for pointing out \tag. I've already read up, and experimented
> with it. It doesn't solve the problem, because it requires that I
> anticipate every possible correction when entering the data from the MS.
> The only way to get useful coverage is to tag every note with a
> different tag, which is too complicated and invites other sorts of errors.

Either I don't understand what you're doing, or you haven't properly understood
the use of \tag.

I'm suggesting that you do something like

\version "2.13.9"
notes = \relative e'' {
   e4 \tag #'MS {e} \tag #'corr {d} c d   |
   e e e2   |
}
\markup { ORIGINAL: }
\score { \keepWithTag #'MS \notes }
\markup { CORRECTED: }
\score { \keepWithTag #'corr \notes }

Clearly, this doesn't require tagging "every note with a different tag" — you
simply tag the notes for different editions as you need them.
What am I misunderstanding about your particular situation?

Cheers,
Kieren.