Re: Editing notes in a separate file

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Editing notes in a separate file
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 12:49:12 -0700

On 1/2/10 10:06 AM, "Michael J. O'Donnell" <address@hidden> wrote:

> You are proposing very good solutions for the short term production of
> scores. I am more concerned with the very long term management of the
> information.
>
> The object is to
>
> 1. have a file containing data entry from the MS which represents the
> uncorrected manuscript, and which (almost) never needs to change;
>
> 2. introduce all changes, including musical corrections and adjustments,
> for performance scores, without modifying the MS data entry.
>
> For the short term, the tag method is a very good way to produce
> multiple versions in a project involving one person or small group of
> collaborators. In the case of a historical MS, there should be one
> representation of the MS, archived and (almost) never changed. Various
> derived scores should be produced separately from the MS representation,
> using it as input. The editors of the derived scores may be completely
> independent of those who produced the MS representation.
>
> Sure, a future editor may take a copy of the MS representation, and
> modify it. But each such step introduces extra confusion in the
> information, and leads to other sorts of errors.
>
> I was trying to keep the description short, but I guess I provided too
> little information. Here's some context:
>
> I have  a beautiful facsimile of the Canonici Misc MA, Bodleian 213,
> which I acquired on a whim when I was singing a DuFay song taken from
> the MS. I wondered whether Lilypond provided a notation in which it
> would be sensible to typeset the entire MS in a form that looked a lot
> like the MS, allowed for very easy proof reading of the data entry (and
> discussion of the questionable choices), then also allowed systematic
> editing of performance scores in modern notation, with a variety of
> editorial choices.
>
> I started experimenting with the first song, covering 3 folio sides. I
> observed the fundamental problems with Lilypond's support of mensural
> notation, but I can work on prototypes that will be easy to adapt when
> developers fix that part of Lilypond some day. I cooked up my own
> prototype of a set of macros that produce mensural notation or modern
> notation from parameters (this is not quite trivial, since Lilypond's
> representation of mensural durations is a bit tangled, and even
> ambiguous regarding actual performance duration in the case of perfectum
> vs. imperfectum).
>
> I have reached the point where I produce crude but somewhat useful
> prototypes of both the mensural and modern notation. Synchronizing
> duration between the three voices in the modern notation currently
> requires me to enter corrections in the primary representation of the
> notes from the MS. Tags make it easy to include or exclude those
> corrections, but I am still faced with entering every variant of every
> correction into the MS data, which would be better left alone while
> editing the modern version. The problem is not so much the tags that I
> [...]

May I suggest that the proper way to handle this is not to try to turn
LilyPond into an information manager?

Instead, the proper way is to use an information manager with LilyPond.

I would recommend that the semantically appropriate way to handle this is to
stop thinking of a piece as a single file, and instead, think of it as a git
repository (or the equivalent, but I think git is *perfect* for this
application).

Each different edition is a different branch on the tree, and the LilyPond
file *for that branch* is changed, but the original manuscript file is still
available in the master branch.

Changes in the manuscript file can be applied to each branch via git's
patching algorithms.  And if desired, custom git commands that will
automatically apply changes to the source manuscript to every other edition
could be created.

Each different edition is then available as a branch, to be run through
LilyPond at any desired time.

And the changes between the different editions are easily available through
the git diff command.

HTH,

Carl