Re: Editing notes in a separate file

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: Editing notes in a separate file
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 13:12:34 +0100

On 02.01.2010, at 20:49, Carl Sorensen wrote:

May I suggest that the proper way to handle this is not to try to turn
LilyPond into an information manager?

Instead, the proper way is to use an information manager with LilyPond.

I would recommend that the semantically appropriate way to handle this is to stop thinking of a piece as a single file, and instead, think of it as a git
repository (or the equivalent, but I think git is *perfect* for this
application).

Each different edition is a different branch on the tree, and the LilyPond file *for that branch* is changed, but the original manuscript file is still
available in the master branch.

Changes in the manuscript file can be applied to each branch via git's
patching algorithms.  And if desired, custom git commands that will
automatically apply changes to the source manuscript to every other edition
could be created.

Each different edition is then available as a branch, to be run through
LilyPond at any desired time.

And the changes between the different editions are easily available through
the git diff command.

HTH,

Carl

That is a brilliant idea, and an actual reason for me to try and learn how to use git.