Re: lilypond-book question

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: lilypond-book question
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 23:55:47 +0100

Le mercredi 06 janvier 2010 à 23:04 +0100, Mats Bengtsson a écrit :
> Quoting James Bailey <address@hidden>:
> > pdflatex always complains if I don't have it there
>
> That's weird! The graphicx package should automatically detect if you
> are using pdflatex or latex and choose the appropriate driver.

Agreed.  I can't remember if pdflatex issues any warning if I don't
specify [pdftex], but it always produced correct output without this
option (with TeXlive 2008 and 2009).  James, which TeX distro do you
use?

> Explicitly specifying this option is a bad idea in general.

Yes, and in particular it makes lilypond-book fails (see below the
explanation).

>  (Note that
> this has nothing to do with lilypond-book per se).

It has actually something to do: lilypond-book calls latex on the
preamble of the .lytex document in order to determine the line width
(IIRC, and/or some paper-related metrics anyway), hence the failure of
latex James reported in his first email if the input file extension
is .lytex.  To work around this, best is to remove [pdftex] option from
the .lytex, but it might work to set lilypond-book command line option
--latex-program=pdflatex.

James, if you sum up the issues raised in this thread into one or two
paragraphs, we'll consider adding them to a section 'Known issues and
warnings' in lp-book docs.

Best,
John