Re: (bug?) irregular lyrics distance in 2.13.10

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: (bug?) irregular lyrics distance in 2.13.10
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:26:03 -0500

Hi all,

In light of this thread, I renew my concern — voiced several times on this list
— that Lilypond seems to explicitly *NOT* space text in terms of its baseline,
in contrast to essentially every other text-manipulation application (or even
manual process).

As we can see, this decision causes problems with every bit of text in
Lilypond: dynamics, marks, markup, Lyrics, and so on.

I am fully aware of the fact that Lilypond is not a text editor or text layout
tool. However, since music notation requires the proper manipulation of a
[sometimes large] number of text elements, Lilypond should really Do The Right
Thing™ viz a viz text placement.

Cheers,
Kieren.