Re: (bug?) irregular lyrics distance in 2.13.10

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: (bug?) irregular lyrics distance in 2.13.10
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:14:57 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> Yes, if that would be fixed (i.e. determining the height of a text
>> object in a predictable way), it would both fix the lyrics in the
>> new spacing situation and the vertical alignment of text markups.
>
> I suggest to define a new command which switches into this `mode'.
> Essentially, it would add a strut[*] at the beginning of every markup
> line.
>

>     Werner
>

> [*] A TeX term: It is a zero-width box which has approximately the
>     height and depth of a parenthesis.  I'm not sure whether the
>     current definition of \strut in lilypond does the right thing...

No, a TeX strut is a zero-width box which has 0.7 times baselineskip as
height and 0.3 times baselineskip as depth.

Those measures are supposed to be larger than the largest depth and
height in a font, and the resulting boxes are intended to be stacked
_without_ _any_ interline glue, in contexts where TeX's interline
spacing mechanism is not operative.

I don't think that copying TeX's struts would make sense here.

--
David Kastrup