Re: (bug?) irregular lyrics distance in 2.13.10

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: (bug?) irregular lyrics distance in 2.13.10
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:57:14 +1100

On Wed, 2010-01-13 at 17:21 +0100, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2010 17:02:18 schrieb David Kastrup:
> > Alexander Kobel <address@hidden> writes:

> > > I suppose it's because the spacing in 2.12 only relied on the Y-extent
> > > property, which defaults to a value including usual extenders of the
> > > glyphs?
> >
> > TeX's algorithm is that the baselines of successive lines are placed
> > \baselineskip apart, unless that makes the depth of the previous line
> > and the height of the current come closer than \lineskiplimit, in which
> > case the separation is chosen as \lineskip.
>
> That's basically the approach taken by Joe for spacing staves: Place the
> center lines minimum-spacing apart, except if the skylines would (almost?)
> overlap (including a padding). In the latter case add space until no overlap
> occurs. Of course, when stretching is enabled, things are a little more
> involved.
>
> I just don't know how Joe aligns lyrics, in particular, whether only the
> extents are used or whether the baseline is used like the center line for
> staves.

The minimum-distances are measured from the "origin" of the line. That
is, if the extent of a staff is (-5 . 5) then we measure from the
center. Thus, we just need to make sure that the "origin" of a Lyrics
line is its baseline (I can't check this right now). Then it should be
sufficient just to set minimum-distance to the desired line-skip.

Cheers,
Joe