RE: odd text position?

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: odd text position?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:26:01 -0500

Gerard,

>From what I can see and probably what others will tell you the spacing is
>equal if you take the bottom of the stave to the top of the character. It is
>just that with 'one' and 'two' for example the height between the bottom stave
>line and the top of the 'o' being the same as the top of the 't' makes the
>word itself appear out of line.

So you are not doing anything wrong as such, it is just that the engraving is
not using the 'base line' of the letters as the lining up point. For example
change 'and' to 'one' and you will see it apparently line up with the first
'one', it is the letter 'd' of 'and' that is pushing this word down and making
it look out of line.

There is already some discussion on the whys and wherefores of this.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.general/53925

Not that it helps you as such, but this is expected behaviour as far as I can
tell.

I think if you use the appropriate #'staff-padding = #X where 'X' is a minus
number (-1, -2.4 etc)

that this will help.

James