Re: tempo text

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: tempo text
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:47:33 +0100

2010/1/18 Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden>:

> Hi Xavier,
>
> I don't believe it's a "bug"… it's officially an enhancement request.  ;)

:D
This enhancement would be very welcome (to my point of view).  This is
the most annoying "lack of feature" I'm experiencing in my everyday-use
of LilyPond.  ;)

> Correct.
>
> However, that still doesn't mean we should overload the RehearsalMark to do
> tempo indications. [I used to do this, so I'm not being "holier than thou"…]

I'm already "overloading" the RehearsalMark for "SegnoMark", "CodaMark",
"Da Capo Mark", "Tutti", ...
I'm waiting for the GLISS to suggest "RehearsalMark-variants" to handle
these different "usages".  And thus provide a solution to my "simultaneous
marks" problem.  :)

> We should:
>    1. Use MetronomeMark, which can be #'X-offset tweaked to line up correctly.

Yeah, but I think it's simpler to say "OK, take this as a RehearsalMark and
align it correctly on the time signature" (especially when there is no other
RehearsalMark at the same time, which is the most often case) ;
than tweaking the #'X-offset to *try* to line up correctly, "groping" the value,
with the risk that this won't be still correct if you change, for example,
the global staff size.

I mean, both are tweaks, workaround.  The one I proposed seems easier to me.
It's maybe not elegant, not good as a dev point of view, ...  but with this
I manage to have it printed the way I want, my "right way", without too much
difficulties.

Of course the best for me too would be this enhancement feature to be added.
;)

>    2. Keep pushing/begging for someone to add the feature you pointed out.

That's what I'm trying to do *discretely* (diplomatically) when replying to
such thread.  :p

> Now that I'm back from my conference, I'm hoping to get up and running with
> lily-dev fairly quickly. [Famous last words?]
> If I do, this is one of the first things on my to-do list.  =)

Great news (again).
Thank you and good luck so, Kieren!

Xavier

--