Problems with diminuendo placing with 2 voices

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Problems with diminuendo placing with 2 voices
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:05:38 -0000

Hello - my first post.

I'm writing a program (or strictly, an extension to someone else's program) to convert Noteworthy Composer2 music to LilyPond. Mostly, it's working well. However, I've just finished what Noteworthy refers to as RestChords (where a rest is chorded with a note, either of equal or greater duration than the rest) and chords where the note values of the notes aren't equal. I've done this by converting the music to separate voices for the rests/notes or for the longer/shorter notes.

However, I can't find a way of making a diminuendo mark appear within the LilyPond notation. An example of the sort of thing I'm trying to do is at http://www.holmessoft.co.uk/homepage/images/RestChords.gif

I've translated this to LilyPond as shown at the bottom of the page. However, the dim. marking (^\>) is flagged as "warning: unterminated decrescendo". I can't find anywhere where I can place the \> and the \! to make the dim. show on the page and to avoid the error. Advice gratefully received.

\clef treble
\key g\major
\time 4/4
\dimTextDim