slashed note heads for chords

From: Patrick Schmidt
Subject: slashed note heads for chords
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 18:28:20 +0100

Hi all,

is it possible to use slashed note heads for chords to indicate the rhythm of a
strumming pattern? This is what I have tried so far:

\version "2.13.10"

chordsI = \chordmode {c1 }

chordsII =  { <c e g c e>1 }

\relative c' {
\new Voice \with {\consists "Pitch_squash_engraver" }
  {
  \chordsI
  \chordsII
  \improvisationOn
  \chordsI
  \chordsII
  \improvisationOff
  \override  NoteHead #'style = #'slash
  \chordsI
  \chordsII

In the resulting pdf all slashed notes are doubled (or – not surprisingly – all
note heads of a chord are slashed). I found a hint in the mail archive that
\improvisationOn expects single notes
(http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg50248.html). If \improvisationOn
accepted chords, strumming patterns could be achieved very easily using
\chordmode. The only solution I can think of right now is to use (additional)
single notes after \improvisationOn. But then I would have to manually turn all
the single notes into chords again if I wanted to engrave normal note heads
instead of slashed note heads in a different edition. Is there a workaround for
this problem?

Thanks for your help!
patrick