Re: Grouped beams

From: Frank Steinmetzger
Subject: Re: Grouped beams
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 05:16:38 +0100

Am Montag, 1. Februar 2010 schrieb Carl Sorensen:

> > I'm already working with override-auto-beam-setting to have all those
> > groups of 8. 16 8 you can see in my screenshot automatically separated:
> >
> > #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * * 8) 3 8)
> > #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * * 8) 6 8)
> > #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * * 8) 9 8)
>
> A much easier way to accomplish this is just to
> \set beatGrouping = #'(3 3 3 3)
>
> This will automatically end beams at every 3/8 in the 12/8 measure.

Hm well, the piece (SATB) is practically made up entirely of such groups, also
with different time signatures. I wanted to avoid having to check the entire
piece again and again for side-effects if I use commands with too wide-spread
effects in case I have measures that should not be grouped in this manner.

(My goal is always to minimise special cases that need extra manual tweaking.)

> To enable beam subdivision, just [...] See Notation Reference 1.2.4.

*ashamed* I actually looked there, but didn’t scroll the PDF down far enough.

> I don't know what you're trying to achieve.

I should have used a bigger image in my first post to make it more clear. I’ll
make up for it now, showing the full line of both the original and my remake.

> But the second rule above is
> already handled by the very first rule, which applies to all note durations
> in the 12/8 (or any X/8) time signature.

Yeah, I’ve noticed that after I sent the message. :o)
override-auto-beam-settings wasn’t the right thing anyway, so I deleted those.
It’s now perfect and exactly like the original. Thanks for the help.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla' - http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/ - EDOB
Nicht von Staat und Konzernen ausschnüffeln lassen, E-Mails verschlüsseln!

Er trifft den Nagel stets auf den Daumen.