pid leakage in LilyPond

From: Patrick Karl
Subject: pid leakage in LilyPond
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 14:27:44 -0600

I have noticed a resource problem in LilyPond, namely invocation of the "Compile/Typeset file" command in interactive mode always consumes one more pid. When I enter music, I incrementally compile it as I go. I do my work on a Mac running OS 10.4. There are a fixed number of pids available for all the programs running on the Mac. This means that as I continue to incrementally compile in LilyPond, the number of available pids grows less, eventually running out.

If LilyPond were a C program, this behavior could be caused by executing an "exec" call to generate a child process but not later waiting for the child to complete. This means that when the child process does complete, it becomes what is called a zombie or defunct pid. I suspect something similar is happening in LilyPond.