Re: pid leakage in LilyPond

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: pid leakage in LilyPond
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 22:36:46 +0100

On 01.02.2010, at 21:27, Patrick Karl wrote:

I have noticed a resource problem in LilyPond, namely invocation of the "Compile/Typeset file" command in interactive mode always consumes one more pid. When I enter music, I incrementally compile it as I go. I do my work on a Mac running OS 10.4. There are a fixed number of pids available for all the programs running on the Mac. This means that as I continue to incrementally compile in LilyPond, the number of available pids grows less, eventually running out.

If LilyPond were a C program, this behavior could be caused by executing an "exec" call to generate a child process but not later waiting for the child to complete. This means that when the child process does complete, it becomes what is called a zombie or defunct pid. I suspect something similar is happening in LilyPond.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this about a fixed number of pids available for all the programs? I run lilypond in a terminal and call it from the command line. After issuing the "lilypond" command, top shows lilypond, then sh, then gs, then all of them exit. Subsequent lilypond commands just increase the pid as they go along. I just restarted my computer yesterday, but shortly before I did, I noticed that the pid's were in the 20,000 range. I would assume that they just keep counting up, but then, I've not had a problem with zombie processes, at least, not from lilypond or gs.