Re: Lilypond vs Score

From: Brett McCoy
Subject: Re: Lilypond vs Score
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 17:10:46 -0500

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Bobber <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have been having a discussion with a small publisher who uses the music
> manuscript program called Score.  He says that neither Lilypond or Finale
> can produce engraving that is comparable to Score.  And that most of the
> major music publishers in the world use Score.
>
> Is anyone familiar with Score and what makes it superior?

Never heard of it either. I wonder how old this site is:

>From http://www.scoremus.com/score.html

"The ideal system for running SCORE consists of a Pentium or 486DX
computer with as little as 4 to 8 megabytes of memory. SCORE runs in
the MS-DOS mode under Windows 95/98/XP or directly in MS-DOS. A
600/1200 dpi PostScript laser printer is required for quality output.
(Printing of SCORE output can also be done on most ink-jet printers
and the lowest priced laser printers by means of a Windows 95/98
shareware program called Ghostscript. This program may be downloaded
from the internet.) SCORE's current MIDI connections require a MPU401
board or a compatible 16-bit ISA sound board. SCORE can run on a
Macintosh computer with a DOS simulator - but very slowly; it is not
recommended. An adequate 486/Pentium PC system may be had in many
areas for only a couple of hundred dollars or less. SCORE's
performance under a LINUX system is unknown."

MPU401? 16-bit ISA Sound card? How antiquated!

I know Berklee doesn't use it -- they are pretty standardized on
Sibelius and Finale.

-- Brett
"In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden;
    If I were to divulge it, it would overturn the world."
               -- Jelaleddin Rumi