Re: Lilypond vs Score

From: Bernhard Ott
Subject: Re: Lilypond vs Score
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 01:58:07 +0100

On 02/02/2010 01:24 AM, Bobber wrote:
That ability would seem to indicate more possibilities. The person I
spoke to who is one of the publishers listed on the Wikipedia page, said
that the output of both Finale and Lilypond was unacceptable for a
professional publisher.
IMHO it's not only the software that matters:
I saw some really good scores done with Finale, and some dreadful examples of composers just printing their midi-stuff (Finale, Sibelius, ...). Have a look at (for example) Baerenreiter piano-reductions (Bach Johannespassion, Mozart operas) - they are a nightmare to read, so even with Score you can produce some questionable output.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure that Score used to be state of the art for a decade, but IMO it's not only a question of features but a question of knowing how you want your score to look.

somehow be manipulated by Score. I don't quite understand how that could
be done but this is what he said.

There seem to be a lot of third-party programms out there - see http://www.scoremus.com/links.html

Regards,
Bernhard