Re: New Sibelius to LilyPond conversion suite

From: Kirill
Subject: Re: New Sibelius to LilyPond conversion suite
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 03:19:22 +0000

Michael Good wrote:

Obviously one can do much better than Dolet 1 with Sibelius 6, but I don't think this extends to Dolet 5.

Hi Michael,

Granted, your Dolet 5 is perhaps much more advanced than the earlier versions. I'm sure you are doing a wonderful job there, and a very useful one too.
I haven't tried Dolet 5 yet, though, as it costs $199.

However, I am such a militant believer in Free Software, that even if I *did* start working on MusicXML->LilyPond converter, I would be ethically compelled to first produce a free and open source exporter from Sibelius to MusicXML, essentially duplicating the functionality of
Dolet and intruding on your territory. I do not want to do that.

Best,

Kirill Sidorov