Re: New Sibelius to LilyPond conversion suite

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: New Sibelius to LilyPond conversion suite
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 00:17:01 +0000

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 04:03:17PM -0800, Patrick McCarty wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Michael Good <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > It is unfortunate that LilyPond users cannot take advantage of
> > the same data freedom that Finale and Sibelius users can.

I agree that it is unfortunate that nobody has sent (GPL-licensed)
patches to address this.  But hey, if nobody's interested in
musicXML, that's not our problem.

> There have been some discussions in the past about developing a
> MusicXML backend for LilyPond, but so far (AFAIK) no one has started
> working on it or knows how it should be implemented.

I wouldn't say that.  Han-Wen and Reinhold seem to have a good
handle on the issue.  The problem is that nobody wants to work on
it.

*shrug*

LilyPond is open source, and it's never been easier to get started
with lilypond development.  Whether or not somebody sends patches
is simply a matter of how interested they are.

Cheers,
- Graham