Community of professional LilyPond engravers?

From: Michael J. O'Donnell
Subject: Community of professional LilyPond engravers?
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 18:59:51 -0600

I am pondering offering engraving services with LilyPond. I wonder if
there are people ready and willing to share information on the
possibility to make modest money this way.

I found one (slightly broken) thread in the archives:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-10/msg00482.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-11/msg00002.html

which indicates that several people use LilyPond for professional
projects, but they seem to be activities within a larger job, rather
than pay specifically for engraving.

I found one person offering Finale engraving ranging from 2 cents to 5
cents per note:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rscarbro/russell/music_prep.htm

but I didn't understand precisely what he was charging for. His examples
looked to me inferior to LilyPond results, but they were in low
resolution pictures.

I found a list of people offering mostly Finale engraving from $20 to
$80 per hour:

http://www.musicengravers.com/

I have no idea how much they accomplish in one hour. I like the relative
objectivity of a charge per note.

So, if there is enough interest (i.e., at least 2 other people), I
suggest that we develop a discussion within the LilyPond Wiki:

http://wiki.lilynet.net/index.php/Main_Page

If there's enough response, I'll join the Wiki, make sure that this is
within it's scope, and provide a front page. So far, I have some
examples to share, and a crude sed script for counting notes.

Cheers,

Mike O'Donnell