Quality images for Wikipedia - several questions

From: Steve Taylor
Subject: Quality images for Wikipedia - several questions
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 17:36:38 +1300

Hi LilyPond gurus and friends,

I have been helping on Wikipedia lately and one thing I see is lots of PNG images of musical notation.  These start to look nasty when the pages are viewed at browser zooms other than 100%.  It would be great to convert these to SVG; indeed, many are tagged as needing this according to Wikipedia guidelines on vector-based images.

For example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano (the range image)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rehearsal_letter

What I'd like to know is whether SVG output from LilyPond is ready yet for this task?  I've seen some previous discussions on SVG output having been broken and recently repaired in the current beta versions.  I've tried some suggested solutions but haven't got it working yet.

Specifically, I'd like it to be simple to specify just the music content (even just a clef and two notes forming an interval) and create an SVG image file suitable for uploading to Wikimedia commons (for use in all languages of Wikipedia around the world).

Can lilypond fit the image size snuggly around the music (with no footer or tagline) rather than fitting the music to a specified page size?  The snippets database appears to produce output like this.

Are there any concerns about the images not being viewable on some browsers or operating systems (e.g. missing fonts)?

Your thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.

cheers,
   Steve.