Re: Community of professional LilyPond engravers?

From: Jeffrey Philpott
Subject: Re: Community of professional LilyPond engravers?
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 07:31:36 +0100

Having set privately several music books for a music-therapy school in Berlin, I have just published (for the first time officially) a book of 65 violin studies for a client.

The combination of LilyPond/Lilypond-Book/Latex allowed me to produce a single pdf file which was delivered to the printers. At this point a huge thanks for everyone who makes LilyPond the greatest ("Notensatzprogramm") music engraver ever.

For those interested:

Felicitas Muche
Geigenwerk IV Band - Studiensammlung duette und soli
Verlag Freie Ausbildung
ISBN 978-3-927186-28-6

As far as pricing goes, I've found that there is a similarity to web designing, which in the end takes up so many hours (tweaking,correcting) that fees on an hourly basis would just spiral to incredible heights. I've taken to giving a first "all-in" price, based on an estimated time span for the first setting of the music, without any correcting, tweaking, adding or putting it all together at the end. Any extras can then be billed according to necessity.

So in this example I billed the setting at 500 Euros (is this too much or too little?) and got 200 Euros extra from a grateful client.

Count me in!

Jeffrey Philpott