Re: Best practice when typesetting transposing instruments.

From: Gilles Sadowski
Subject: Re: Best practice when typesetting transposing instruments.
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 13:27:04 +0100

Hello.

> I cannot quite find figure out from the manual which is a better practice when
> typesetting transposing instruments (say, a B\flat clarinet):

I use the following (assuming that the music contents is in variable
"clarinetNotes" and that the "global" variable namely contains the "\key"
declaration in concert pitch):

1. If the music has been entered in concert pitch:
%---CUT---
    \transposition bes {
      \transpose c d {
        <<
          \global
          \clarinetNotes

%---CUT---

2. If the music has been entered in Bb-clarinet pitch:
    \transposition bes {
      \transpose bes c {
        <<
          \global