Lilypond to MusicXML (was: Re: New Sibelius to LilyPond conversion suite

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Lilypond to MusicXML (was: Re: New Sibelius to LilyPond conversion suite)
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 16:18:54 +0100 (CET)

Everyone will agree having not only musicxml2ly but also a Lilypond to MusicXML converter would be cool.

I remember a similar discussion some time ago in the Mup mailing list. The Mup developers from Arkkra Enterprises were saying it would probably be less work to add musicxml export as an extra output option inside mup, while a musicxml-to-mup converter would be easier to realize with a separate application.

Could this also be true for Lilypond ? Would it be better/easier to have a --musicxml output option ( just like --png --ps and --pdf ) instead of a separate application that has to be written from scratch ? Maybe then the conversion can re-use some of the lilypond parsing code that is already available ?

I'm not a programmer ( or at least not a very good one ;-) ) but wanted to post the suggestion anyway. Maybe someone will be inspired to make a start with this difficult task ... :-)

--

Martin Tarenskeen