Lyrics to single stave polyphony

From: eagle136
Subject: Lyrics to single stave polyphony
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 16:42:36 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
I've been struggling with this for some time now - and am relatively new to
Lilypond ... all help really appreciated.

I have a piece for boys and girls on 2 staves with piano accpt.  Every so
often I wish e.g. the girls to divide into 2 parts and would like to keep on
the same stave:
  a2~a4 fs8 fs |
  \mark \default                  % [D]
  % split into two here
  <<
  { e2 ~ e4 s8 e8 |
  fs g4 a8 ~ a4 s8 a16 a |
  }
  \\
  { e,2 ~ e4 r8 e8 |
  fs8 e4 fs8 ~ fs4 r8 fs16 fs |

This works fine.

I now need to add lyrics.  All is OK until the split into 2 parts when no
lyrics are printed at all - though they get picked up by the music once the
split has been closed.

I have set the soprano voice in its own context:

sopranoVoicePart = \new Staff \with {
  instrumentName = "Girls"
  midiInstrument = "choir aahs"
} { \sopranoVoice }  % notes
\addlyrics { \verseOneSopranoVoice \verseTwoSopranoVoice }  % lyrics

How do I get the lyrics to be displayed when the split happens?

Thanks very much for any guidance you might be able to provide, other
examples I have looked at just don't seem to quite fit.

Thanks

Simon