Re: Creating a comparison of several variants of unmettered chant

From: Jiri Zurek (Prague)
Subject: Re: Creating a comparison of several variants of unmettered chant
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 07:07:52 -0800 (PST)

Karl Hammar wrote:

> Can't you use scaled durations [1], something like:

Yes, the scaled durations are elegant and offer marvellous result (as Kieren
showed). Thank you, I did not notice this functionality. However, it
presumes, that I make the collation first outside lilypond, count the
durations and necessary multiplicators "in advance", taking into account all
the versions. And only then input this into the lilypond file. However, in
the normal course of the work, I do not know in advance, how much skips are
necessary or how big the multiplicator should be. This is something, which
appears only after the collation of all the versions is done. What I see
clearly in each the version, are just the common patterns. So, I would
simply like to tell Lilypond: please, align vertically this certain bit of
music in all staves.

The scaled durations do not offer a solution, just a workaround. Lilypond
still attempts to "count" the beats, aligning vertically beat after beat.
What I would like to achieve is to force Lilypond not to count beats at all.
Rather, to align vertically certain "bits of music" which I mark clearly
somehow, for example by the "|" sing (as in parallel music). Is there such a
possibility?