Re: Creating a comparison of several variants of unmettered chant

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Creating a comparison of several variants of unmettered chant
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:18:09 +0100

Le mardi 09 février 2010 à 07:07 -0800, Jiri Zurek (Prague) a écrit :
> The scaled durations do not offer a solution, just a workaround. Lilypond
> still attempts to "count" the beats, aligning vertically beat after beat.
> What I would like to achieve is to force Lilypond not to count beats at all.
> Rather, to align vertically certain "bits of music" which I mark clearly
> somehow, for example by the "|" sing (as in parallel music). Is there such a
> possibility?

Yes, by writing a music function in Scheme which takes as an argument
all the music expressions of individual voices, then insert skips or
duration mutlipliers according to such markers you mention.  That said,
I'm not sure how to encode such a marker in a form that should be
recognizable by the music function code that recurse into music
expression and that still makes individual voices valid music
expressions.

AFAIK there is no simpler mean to do this automatically.  It might be
nice to be able to have ways to synchronize staffs or voices (even with
heterogenous material mixing standard notation staffs and other stuff
like curves) like what you expect, like the Sheet object in OpenMusic,
but this would be much much more involved.

Good luck,
John