Re: Changing staff size

From: David Stocker
Subject: Re: Changing staff size
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:51:08 -0500

Chris,

Have a look at http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Setting-the-staff-size#Setting-the-staff-size

A couple of notes:

placing #(set-global-staff-size 15.87) somewhere in your file will change the size of the staff and scale scale all the fonts (music and text, including fonts in the \header block) to match the smaller staff (or bigger, as the case may be).

placing #(layout-set-staff-size 15.87) in the \layout block scales only the music fonts and leaves the \header block fonts alone (at least, this is true for 2.13.12).

This brings me to a question for the larger community and developers:

The wording of the command and the documentation would lead one to believe that #(layout-set-staff-size 15.87) would affect the staff size and the music font size when in fact, it only affects the music font size. Of course, the staff can be made to match the music font by using \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #0.8 for each instrument in the score.

The two methods have different effects. Personally, I like being able to reduce the music font size and staff size independently of each other, and also like the \layout method because it doesn't change the scaling of the \header fonts. Is this the desired behavior or a bug? If the difference is intentional, then the documentation (and perhaps eventually, the command wording) ought to be re-worked. It might be good even to add another column to the chart in that section which gives the scaling factors of the staff spaces for the Staff.StaffSymbol command for the corresponding music font sizes.

I'd be happy to suggest a new wording for the documentation to make it clear that the two methods differ in their results. I'm open to fixing the documentation myself, if my non-technical brain can handle the procedures.

David

Chris wrote:
Hi! Is it possible to change the staff size?
I found in the documentation only a command to change the note size.