Re: master file in emacs lilypond mode

From: moboyle79
Subject: Re: master file in emacs lilypond mode
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:44:55 -0800 (PST)

Sorry that this is sooo late, but I was googling for this before I figured it
out and this is the only relevant hit, so maybe I can help someone else,
too:

At the bottom of the file being edited, put

%%% Local Variables:
%%% LilyPond-master-file: "SomeMasterFileName.ly"
%%% End:

complete with %'s, but obviously replacing the file name as appropriate.
Close and re-open the file.  Now you can just run the lilypond command ("C-c
C-l" or whatever) from the buffer being edited.  The first time you ever do
this, you'll have to tell emacs to allow 'LilyPond-master-file' to be reset
by pressing '!' in response to its question.  Forever after, it's smooth
sailing.

P.S.  I figured this out using Karl's suggestion, but just made the variable
local by putting it in the edited buffer -- which is much more advisable.
Using a makefile also works, but is way more cumbersome for almost all
projects.