Re: dynamic and midi velocity

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: Re: dynamic and midi velocity
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:27:53 +1100

I had a quick look at what it would take to generate notes with
different velocities instead of just CC 7 events.  It's harder than it
should be: dynamic events always come after the notes they affect, so
I couldn't see an obvious/easy way to get the current dynamics while
processing a note, nor is it obvious to me how to get at notes in the
same voice as a dynamic indication at the same timestep.

Nor is it obvioous to me how to tell which voices dynamic indications
should be applied to.  Sometimes they should be for several (e.g.,
centered piano dynamics), sometimes just to the voice they are
attached to.  And there's still the issue of handling what instruments
are capable of, and adjusting expression accordingly.

There are three classes of instruments I can think of:
  1.  Instruments that play at a fixed volume no matter what you do:
      -- harpsichord, most organ stops, recorder, etc.
  2.  Instruments where the volume is determined at the start of a
      note, but you can't change it afterwards:
      -- piano, clavichord, most percussion, plucked strings, etc.
  3.  Instruments that can change volume anywhere -- most woodwinds and brass,
      swell stops on the organ, etc.

So I'm leaving it in the `too hard' basket for now.

Peter C

--
Dr Peter Chubb                                  peter DOT chubb AT nicta.com.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au               ERTOS within National ICT Australia