Lyric-aligned music

From: Christ van Willegen
Subject: Lyric-aligned music
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:46:28 +0100

Hello,

I've been following the 'align lyrics on vowels' discussion. Nice end
result, I think I'll use it in my following Lily 'excursions'.

Now, for something slightly different...

In church music, using a hyphen to split syllables is not done.
Instead, words with 2 syllables have a note attached to each syllable
(centered on the vowels, ofcourse :-) )

So, I would like to be able to typeset {c4 d} \addLyrics {Je- sus} in
such a way that the 2 quarter notes are on the 'e' and the 'u', resp.,
and that the 2 syllables form one word.

http://dvoi.com/files/lilypond/2.5.3/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/The-Lyrics-context.html
speaks of manual lyrics durations, but that way I can't specify where
the syllables are (I think...)

Can anyone share insights on this matter?

Christ van Willegen