Partials and upbeats

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Partials and upbeats
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:16:18 -0000

I have a piece of music which has 3 vocal parts and 2 piano lines (3 voices). It's in 2/4 and starts with an eighth note (a quaver) in the piano left hand, and 2 16th notes in the piano right hand. I want to use whole measure rests for the vocal parts, so that they are removed from the start, where there is only piano music. If I start each vocal part with:

\time 2/4  R8   |

and the top piano part with:

\time 2/4  \partial 8  ees''16 \mf  [  g''16 ]   |

then the score is produced in the way I want. However, if I either start the vocal parts:

\time 2/4  \partial 8  R8   |

or I re-arrange the piano parts so that they lie above the vocal parts, then I get bar-line warnings:

D:/Music/Test.ly:61:1: warning: barcheck failed at: -1/8
R8   |  % 1

Is it correct that the \partial command applies to all voices below the one in which it is issued, and that it cannot be used with whole measure rests? Both of these seem counter-intuitive to me - it seems to me that (all other things being equal) \partial should apply to the whole score, or just the single voice for which it is issued, and that it should also apply to whole-measure rests - otherwise you can't lose "empty" vocals with an upbeat.

--
Phil Holmes