Re: Partials and upbeats

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Partials and upbeats
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 22:05:31 +0100

Quoting Phil Holmes <address@hidden>:

I have a piece of music which has 3 vocal parts and 2 piano lines (3 voices). It's in 2/4 and starts with an eighth note (a quaver) in the piano left hand, and 2 16th notes in the piano right hand. I want to use whole measure rests for the vocal parts, so that they are removed from the start, where there is only piano music. If I start each vocal part with:

\time 2/4  R8   |

and the top piano part with:

\time 2/4  \partial 8  ees''16 \mf  [  g''16 ]   |

then the score is produced in the way I want. However, if I either start the vocal parts:

\time 2/4  \partial 8  R8   |

or I re-arrange the piano parts so that they lie above the vocal parts, then I get bar-line warnings:

D:/Music/Test.ly:61:1: warning: barcheck failed at: -1/8
R8   |  % 1

Is it correct that the \partial command applies to all voices below the one in which it is issued,
No, the \partial command sets some properties on the Score level, so the order shouldn't matter. Hard to say why you see such a difference without having access to your full test file.

and that it cannot be used with whole measure rests?
Correct! You can find some discussions on this phenomenon in the mailing list archives. Do you really want the rest symbol produced by R8? I thought that and ordinary eight note rest (r8) was the standard notation practice for upbeats.

  /Mats