Re: "Programming error" message

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: "Programming error" message
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:33:54 -0800

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Tim McNamara <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2010, at 9:23 PM, Patrick McCarty wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Tim McNamara <address@hidden>
>> wrote:

>>> This was 2.12.2-1 on Mac OS X 10.4.11.  I get Pango complaints all the
>>> time
>>> with Lilypond but they seem to have no effect whatsoever on the output.
>>
>> Well, I can't test anything on OS X 10.4, but whenever I test LilyPond
>> with simple .ly files on OS X 10.5 or 10.6, I don't see any of the
>> FT_Get_Glyph_Name warning messages.
>>
>> Not unless my test file contains non-ASCII characters and is not saved in
>> UTF-8.
>
> I don't see any non-ASCII characters in my file.  Oh, I take that back now
> that I scrutinize closer... I have © in the input file.  Well, that's easy
> to get rid of.  And doing so eliminates the glyph complaint from Lilypond.
>  Wow, eight or so complaints from one character!

Yeah, Pango is very picky about the character encoding.

> I still get:
>
> (process:1754): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GDEF table 28333
>
> (process:1754): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GSUB table 28333
>
> (process:1754): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GPOS table 28333
>
> But as I say I've never noticed any problem in the output.

This looks a lot like the (closed) issue here:

I think these particular warnings were fixed after the recent update
to Pango for the official LilyPond builds.  2.12.3 *might* contain
these fixes, I'm not sure.

But I'm pretty sure they are harmless, as you've observed.

>> Have you looked over this documentation page?
>>
>>  http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Text-encoding
>
> It looks familiar so I must have skimmed it at one point. Unfortunately
> there is so much documentation that it would take about a year to read it
> all in detail.
>
> Thanks!

You're welcome.

By the way, you can still use the copyright symbol if you want, just
as long as you save your files with UTF-8 encoding.  I have used the
copyright symbol in some of my past compositions, so it should work.

-Patrick