Re: Strange message with autochange

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Strange message with autochange
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:07:21 +0100

On 27 February 2010 06:09, George_ <address@hidden> wrote:

> So say I have a piece that is five hundred bars long. Say I use
> autochange to get Lilypond to automatically change staff for the
> music. Say that there are 50 staff changes that are particularly
> awkward. You are telling me that the only alternatives I have for
> this hypothetical 500-bar piece is to either put up with those 50
> awkward staff changes, or rewrite the piece so that every single one
> of the staff changes in those 500 bars is done by hand? Pardon my
> frankness, but what a bloody stupid [insert nasty word here] system.

Actually I'm not a pianist, nor some kind of "LilyPond-genius", so my
answer was only based on my knowledge of LilyPond (little with
keyboard-related stuffs) and also based on your minimal code, which had
only one (zero) staff change...

Pardon my bloody stupid answer.

> No, it's not. Not completely. With the \change in, the output has a
> semiquaver rest in the bottom staff, a b, e, g, and f sharp in the
> top staff, and the stems point up.
>
> Without the \change, the output has a semiquaver rest in the bottom
> staff, a b in the bottom staff, an e, g and f sharp in the top staff,
> and the stems point down (and the beaming looks ridiculous as a
> result). What I want here is for both the rest and the b to be on the
> top clef and for the beaming to look not ridiculous (I can do that
> myself, it's the first part I need help with). However, putting the
> \change in front of the rest gives the same output as if the \change
> weren't there, and using x16\rest where x is a note doesn't seem to
> put it in the right place either; for some reason Lilypond skips
> right over most of the top staff.

Indeed, looks like a bug.

Xavier

--