Re: Strange message with autochange

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Strange message with autochange
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:56:57 +0100

2010/2/28 James Bailey <address@hidden>:

> The only problem I have with this is that I don't think that manual
> staff changes are supposed to work with autochange.

That's what I thought too.
But with a further look at the doc one can see, under "Changing staff
automatically" (autochange):

  If additional control is needed over the individual staves, they can
  be created manually with the names "up" and "down". The \autochange
  command will then switch its voice between the existing staves.

So, according to the doc, it should be possible to mix automatic and
manual staff changes.
Or this sentence should be more explicit about what is implied with
"additional control"...

> I could force things to work, but the known issues and warnings says
> that if you want high quality output, staff switches should be
> specified manually.

>From what I understand it is just because "The staff switches may not
end up in optimal places" (listen, /with the automatic behaviour/).
But if you can mix manual and automatic, then you can get over it.

> And yeah, I realize that for your 500 page fugue that sucks, but it's
> as easy as defining a variable, csu = \change Staff = "up", and then
> using that variable when you want to have a staff change, \csu.

According to the doc:

  The autochanger switches on the basis of the pitch (middle C is the
  turning point), and __it looks ahead **skipping over rests** to
  switch in advance__

So George_, your bug seems to be a "side effect" of this rest skipping
functionality.

Cheers,
Xavier

--