Re: "Programming error" message

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: "Programming error" message
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 15:13:52 -0600

On 2010-02-28, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

I neglected to mention that in recent 2.13 versions, the warning
messages for invalid character encoding look like this:

(process:1375): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

These warnings are generated by Pango.

Is this an improvement?

Yes, thanks.  I assume that it is not possible to add the offending
text string to the warning message since a Pango warning is not
visible to lilypond...  Perhaps it makes sense to add a UTF-8 checker
to lilypond just for that.

It would be very simple to check for invalid UTF-8, since we can use
GLib's g_utf_validate() function.  In fact, Pango uses this same
function in pango_layout_set_text().

Unfortunately, it would be much more complicated (I think) to output
the offending string, since we would have to convert an arbitrarily
encoded string to UTF-8, and then display it along with the
warning/error.

And this assumes we are dealing with a UTF-8 locale.

What if we output a message like this instead:

  warning: invalid UTF-8 string found at row 3, column 10

I think this would be easier to implement.

From the relatively naive user perspective, this would be very helpful. Since Emacs can be set to show the line the cursor is in, this would make tracking down the cause of the problem much easier.