Re: Lyrics across multi-voice sections

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Lyrics across multi-voice sections
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 11:11:43 +0000

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Peter Chubb
<address@hidden> wrote:
> You need to tell LilyPond which voice is which.
>
> The \\ construct creates two new voices, neither of which is aligned
> with your lyrics.  What you probably want is something like this:
>
>     \context Voice = tune { a b c <<
>          \context Voice = tune { \voiceOne g2 ~ g8 }
>          \context Voice = alternate { \voiceTwo  s8 e8[ dis d] cis }
>          >> \oneVoice a b c
>     }
>     \lyricsto tune \theWords
>

> Grahame, this is such a FAQ thaqt we either need to add a section to
> the LM in `voices and vocals', or modify the `I'm hearing voices'
> section, or add an explicit `implicit voice instantiation with vocals'
> section.  Or some other solution?
>
> If you tell me which you'd prefer I'll try to whip yup a patch this week.

Thanks for the offer, but isn't this exactly the second example from
the bottom in LM 3.2.3 Voices and vocals ?

I can't tell if NR 1.5.2 Single-staff polyphony covers the issue
because I'm sick and not thinking.

I _really_ can't tell if NR 2.1 Vocals covers the issue at all,
because that section is a complete mess and in dire need of a complete
rewrite.  Frog: 20 hours.

If the problem is that the 2.13 docs have the fix but the 2.12 docs
don't, then the only solution is to get 2.14 out sooner because I'm
not making any more 2.12 releases, so it doesn't matter what people do
to the stable/2.12 branch.  The biggest holdup IMO is the translation
infrstructure for the new website, because nobody is working on it.

Cheers,
- Graham